In this day and age a new craze for gardens has emerged. Without doubt, the Principality of Monaco and its surroundings harbour real treasures in this domain. Careful not to lose its roots under urban development, the Principality has established a solid policy of garden and park development, with more than 250,000 m2 for a city-state of 195ha, which puts its second in Europe, just after Vienna. Everywhere precious rare species mix in harmony with flowers and plants symbolically simple and fresh.
Principality’s first public garden, opened in 1816, was built on an abandoned
plot in order to provide work for residents when famine hit the Principality.
Bus routes 1, 2
The gardens of the Société
des Bains de Mer are very closely linked to the development of a particular
part of the Principality of Monaco: Monte-Carlo. The area took off in around
1893 when the Casino was established on Spélugues rock, which was previously
parched and bare.
Bus routes 1, 5, 6
Place du Casino
created in 1994 at the request of Prince Rainier III in accordance with the
strictest principles of Zen design by landscape architect Yasuo Beppu (Grand
Prix at the Osaka Flower Exhibition in 1990), transports visitors to the land
of the rising sun, even as they remain in the Principality.